Defensive Driving Skills & Collision Avoidance
What is defensive driving? It is a set of driving skills that allows you to defend yourself against possible collisions caused by bad drivers, drunk drivers, and poor weather. If you look ahead and keep your eyes moving, you will spot potential hazards more easily. Once you have identified a potential hazard and decided what to do, act immediately (Read more).
“Defensive drivers are able to avoid dangers on the road by using their safe driving practices.”
- To contribute to a reduction in the risk of incidents involving employees driving various types of light motor vehicles that might result through conflict on the road, leading to property damage, injury or death.
- To encourage the attendees to develop a culture of taking responsibility for the outcomes of their actions upon themselves and other road users.
- To develop in the attendees a system based style of driving that reduces identified risks to a minimum
Course Key Topics – Defensive Driving
Defensive Driving Basics
- Why You Should Improve Your Driving Skills
- What Is Defensive Driving?
- Which Driver Are You?
- Five Characteristics of a Defensive Driver
What Is a Preventable Collision?
- Stopping Distance Formula
- How Close Is Too Close?
- Following Distance Worksheet
- When Someone’s on Your Tail.
- Avoiding Head-On Collisions
Scanning the Road
- Accelerating and Braking
- Passing and Being Passed
- Important Traffic Rules
The Dangers of Speed
- Evasive Maneuvers
- Your Body, Your Mind & Your Driving
- The Golden Rule of Safe Driving
- Five Basic Groups of Drugs & How They Affect Your Driving Abilities.
Driving on Bad Roads
- Driving After Dark
- Driving in the Rain
- Driving in Fog
- Driving in Snow and Ice
- Urban Driving Hazards
- Rural Driving Hazards
- Towing Tips
Driving Large Vehicles (LTV / HTV)
- Pre-Trip Inspections
- Following Distance
- Sharing the Road With Pedestrians
- Sharing the Road With Cyclists and Motorcyclists
- Sharing the Road With Slow-Moving Vehicles
- Loading and Unloading Safely
- Parking and Delivering Safely
Defending Yourself Against Vehicle-Related Crime
- Defending Yourself Against Carjacking
- Auto Emergencies
Fleet Safety Management
- Driver’s Interview Checklist
- Simplified Road Test Instructions
- Driver’s Daily Report
- Driver of the Month Award
- Could This Collision Have Been Prevented?
- Slippin’ and Slidin’
- Patience Is a Lifesaver
At the end of this Course participants should:
- Understand the reasons why their participation in the driving course is required
- Understand the particular issues and problems facing the drivers of light vehicles
- Understand the possible effects of light vehicles on other road users
- Understand the factors that affect an individual’s driving behaviour including the effects of stress fatigue and distractions
- Show increased hazard perception and risk assessment skills
- Display a planned and systematic defensive driving style
- Understand how to avoid road crashes and that crashes are within a driver’s (their) control
- Understand their social responsibility as a road user
- Have updated their knowledge of road rules and procedures and understand why they should comply with the rules of the road
- Employees who must drive automobiles (cars, vans, pickups) as part of their job.
- Positions like field industrial personnel, field technicians, or personnel visiting offsite locations including delivery of small parts or equipment.
Job Interview Preparation (Soft Skills Questions & Answers)
- Tough Open-Ended Job Interview Questions
- What to Wear for Best Job Interview Attire
- Job Interview Question- What are You Passionate About?
- How to Prepare for a Job Promotion Interview
🎥 Your FREE eLEARNING Courses (Click Here)
Internships, Freelance and Full-Time Work opportunities
Flexible Class Options
- Week End Classes For Professionals SAT | SUN
- Corporate Group Trainings Available
- Online Classes – Live Virtual Class (L.V.C), Online Training
- ISO 39001 Course – Road Traffic Safety
- ISO 45001 Foundation – Occupational Health and Safety Management System
- Diploma in Health, Safety and Environmental
- BS OHSAS 18001 – Occupational Health and Safety Foundation
- Diploma Human Resource Management -HRM Course